View Single Post
Old
05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
MickOlax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
No it is true and for most every sport that involves a long, constant season. As Brian Fogarty and Clint basically said, over the course of a season, players simply expend too much energy to effectively put on muscle and weight. Generally, the offseason is the "loading" period, where athletes put on as much weight and strength as possible. This slowly deteriorates over the course of a long season.

Of course, this doesn't happen 100% of the time, but its the general rule. It also makes common sense right? Huber has played like 100 games this year. Its just too hard to gain weight with that much energy output. Its not due to a lack of dedication.
This. People who think that's it's lack of dedication don't know anything about weight and mass gaining in pro sports.

Just look at the interview of Keaton Ellerby after the 2010-11 season and watch how skinny he is. The interviewers even mentions it and Ellerby admits that he had lost quite a few pounds during the season.

If you're playing even close to all the games you can in a season, it's almost impossible to gain too much weight. Every time you play a game or have a hard practice on ice, you use so much energy that it doesn't strengthen you. It actually weakens you and takes all the energy at the cost of your own body. Like Jakethesnake said, the summer is the time to "load up" your body. You can gain more weight in two months of summer than the whole season.

And just for my two cents on Huberdeau, I totally believe that he and the Panthers fitness coaches and trainers are doing their best to make him as physically ready for the season as possible. That being said, I don't think he HAS to put up much more than about 10 pounds. 10 pounds would be awesome imo.

And yes, he will make our roster next season.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote