Thread: Speculation: Jets 2012-2013 lineup
View Single Post
Old
05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
While I agree that most of the roster will probably stay the same, I could also see a couple of trades happening.

This is going to be the first summer where Chevy can actually make some moves, given that he's now accustomed and familiar with the roster. Last year he only made one trade, and that was to acquire a native Manitoban to bridge the gap between the other players and their new city. He tried to make some impactful signings (ie. Leino), but what free agent is going to want to sign with a city they (probably) know nothing about, with an ownership they know nothing about, on a team that probably wouldn't be a playoff team and hadn't released their logo or jersey yet?

The Jets are 2-3 years removed from when the Thrashers were still trying to ice a contender built around Kovalchuk. Even though they made good picks in Kane, Bogosian and Burmi, there are still remnants of those contending teams in players like Hainsey and Antro. Chevy and Chipman have repeatedly emphasized that they want to build a contender from within, and Dudley got the rebuild started in Atlanta with the acquisitions of Ladd, Buff, Wheeler and Stuart, but Antro and Hainsey are still guys that it makes sense to move if a) Chevy believes they will be free agents by the time the Jets are contenders and b) Chevy isn't planning on re-signing them. If TNSE is also going to remain relatively conservative when it comes to spending, I could also see them moving Hainsey and Antro's contracts now to save money to re-sign Enstrom later.

Last edited by WJG: 05-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote