View Single Post
Old
05-26-2012, 01:33 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Need to free up salary? A young up and comer in Krieder?
They are at $48 million with 16 players signed, and the only significant free agent is Del Zotto.

If you believe the rumors that the AHL loophole to bury contracts will be closed (it's a good as any to believe since Toronto GM Brian Burke said he thinks it could happen), Redden's $6.5 million is back against the cap.

However, his buyout would only be a bit over $3 million. Furthermore, the chance of an amnesty buyout (no cap charge) is just as good as the AHL loophole getting closed. He may not count against the cap regardless.

They only have eight Top 9 forwards signed next year including Gaborik so there's already a spot for Kreider. If there wasn't a spot btw ... how would he have played in this year's playoffs?

Salary cap and opening a roster spot for Kreider don't seem like good reasons for needing to trade Gaborik.

I'm sure you could come up with some good ones though ... that wasn't meant to be snarky even though it sounds that way as I re-read it ... I'm just saying keep trying. I don't think you're totally coming out of left field suggesting it could happen, but your first two reasons don't hold up too much, IMO.