View Single Post
Old
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
In a fantasy land, far, far, away, I would hope that DW pulls off the Nash trade (because I fully expect him to trade for Nash) without someone giving up one of Couture, Pavelski, Marleau, JT, or Havlat.

I don't expect Clowe to be part of the deal, but maybe something along the lines of Niemi, Hamilton, Doherty, 2012 1st, and maybe a guy like Tim Kennedy. It's a complete pipe dream that I don't see happening, but it would be preferable for me.

If that did happen, I would NOT put Nash on JT's line. Instead I would try to go with something closer to the lineup below. I am assuming a trade of Clowe to TO for Gunnarsson (with maybe a pick or something on either side to even out. Add a 7th defenseman for a million or less and you have about $1.5 mil in cap space below the current cap.

This line-up gives you 2 top-end scoring lines. 1 with lots of puck-possession skill, but not much speed. And a 2nd with very good speed, good size, and very good scoring. The 3rd line isn't a total scoring line, but Moore has shown he can run a scoring 3rd line before, Wingels is better as a scorer than a 4th liner, and I'm slotting in Shephard just off other posters comments that he has potentially top-6 or tweener talent. The 4th line is extremely good defensively (in Winnik and Desjardin), has pest-like qualities (Desjardin and Galiardi), and some decent speed (again, Desi and Galli). And I'm keeping Winchester around as a tough guy, although he can go if wants.

I am assuming Murray gets moved for picks or prospects, and Handzus will waive and get a minimal return (a 7th or so).

FORWARDS

Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
James Sheppard ($0.775m) / Dominic Moore ($1.500m) / Tommy Wingels ($0.850m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.250m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.700m) / T.J. Galiardi ($0.735m)
Brad Winchester ($0.725m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
Alex Stalock ($0.688m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,736,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,563,333

Anyway, that is my best case scenario given Doug Wilson's usual stupidity. Too bad it won't happen. Of course, if I had my way we would be shopping JT, Boyle, Clowe, Murray, and Niemi and trying to rebuild prospect pool and do a major redo of the team structure. But that won't happen either.