View Single Post
Old
05-26-2012, 02:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I'll tell you what he's not: a minute eating top pairing defenseman.

The best defensemen are the ones who play the most. They play the most because they are better than the guys who play less. This is common sense.

I know another way you can tell who the best defensemen are: if they are out ofthe line up the team is much worse. When Ehrhoff and Myers are out, this is a bad team. When Sekera is out, they carry on like normal. Pretty telling.

Sekera is a good mid-pair defenseman that can play against other team top players. Who's really the one with the agenda, the guy who is trying to put him on a pedastle as our best defenseman, or me for saying he's a solid mid-pair guy, nothing more or less?
Not necessarily. Take the example that Jame used or Ottawa 5 years ago when they went to the Cup finals. Volchenkov was on the shut down pairing with Phillips yet Redden and Meszaros would play more because they got time on the PP and PK. The difference in the playing time between Sekera and Myers/Ehrhoff/Leopold is PP time and based on the stats Sekera was actually better on the PP than both Myers and Leopold. A player's abilities aren't based on how much they play. Was he a minute-eating defenseman for us? No, he didn't have to be. He might be one, we don't know because Ruff gave the big minutes to Myers, Ehrhoff and Leopold while limiting Sekera and Regehr to matching them against the opposition's top players. He shuts down the opposition's best players. That's his role. That's what top pairing defensemen do.

Last edited by thefifagod: 05-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote