Thread: Bob Has Spoken
View Single Post
Old
11-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I understand that Gainey won't talk about trades, or say bad things about our players, but why does he say we need to see more consistency from Ribeiro who's our leading scorer, yet Perreault doesn't get called out for his lack of defensive play.

Guess I'm more pissed that Komo isn't playing, but I should know better by now. :mad:
Because of one or two factors:

1) Ribeiro is the future of the team, while Yannick is the past. He knows that at the very least, Perreault will be done in Montreal at the end of the year, while if Ribby performs, he could be in the future plans of the Canadiens.

2) He's calling out Ribby because he needs Ribs to perform better for scouts or GM's who might be watching.

If there's one thing I've learned about Gainey, his every word is calculated and while everything in genuine at face value, he also has another meaning behind it that's implied. The fact that he's called out two of our young'uns just leads me to believe that he doesn't expect any more from the elder statesmen like Perreault and therefore can't concern himself with them as much.

He also called out Sax and Zed, and rightly so, indicating that they need to be far more productive. Sax has been good to very good, but he hasn't been that dominant force that he's capable of being. He's only had two or three games where he's created something dangerous every shift. Zed has only really started playing well in the last handful of games, and it's been inconsistent at best. But he calls these two out because they are integral to the future of the Habs - whether by playing or by trades it doesn't matter, they still need to be better.

I feel like I haven't been as clear as I'd like to be; hopefully everyone understands this better than I do myself.

A concerned fan.