View Single Post
Old
05-27-2012, 03:22 PM
mkraayen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
How likely is it for you guys to move Basso? Petes need a better veteran defenceman and I've always liked Basso's game.

As a sting fan, would you guys by content with swapping Basso to the Petes for a 95 birthdate d-man? (Varga)
Basso, undrafted in the NHL, will be an overage candidate for the Sting in 2013-14. Of the Sting's '93 born players, Basso & Boucher have the heighest ceiling, tallent-wise. Boucher, a Devils draft pick, will probably enter their AHL farm system following the upcoming 2012-13 season and not even be available as an overager. That makes Basso even more important being they're top OA candidate for 2013-14.
In terms of D, what happens with Connor Murphy may dictate the Sting's need for an offensive defenseman such as Basso's abilities.
If Murphy returns, he along with DeAngelo are the Sting's top 2 offensive options. Chiarlitti will log big minutes in one of the Sting's top 2 defensive pairings as well. You then have Basso, Duininick, Kuzmyk, & Dipaolo, probably in that order, filling out your 4-7 D spots. If Murphy makes the jump to the AHL, which I think he very well could, Basso's offensive talent becomes all the more necessary. It's possible the Sting use one of their Import selections at D, minimizing Basso's potential minutes this season, but there's a lot more need elsewhere - revamping the top 6 forwards & addressing the goaltending situation - that Imports can be used for.
I would call it 'unlikely' that Basso is moved.