Thread: Sami Vatanen
View Single Post
05-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
Boudreau was also an offensive players coach when he started, and it worked. Then they overreacted and he tried to turn into a hard-nosed defensive coach, which didn't have a ton of success. That's where the problems came from.

Also not sure how you can't be a fan of his track record. Ovi exploded to being the best player in the league under him, Nicklas Backstrom also developed great under him, Brooks Laich became a very good second line player, Mike Green became one of the best offensive defensemen the league has seen in years, Fleischmann was developing well and then they traded him, Carlson developed quite well too. There is no reason to not be pleased with his track record, I'd say it's as good, if not better, than Carlyle's.
I don't see Ovechkin as a particularly good example. He was a 1st overall pick. He entered the league in dominating fashion. Big things were expected of him, and it's not like Ovechkin struggled and then Boudreau entered the picture and turned things around. To me, that's like giving the coaches in Pittsburgh credit for Crosby playing well. When players enter the league and put up 100+ points in their rookie season, how much influence do you think the coach really has in that player's success?