View Single Post
Old
05-28-2012, 03:11 PM
petejudge

vCash: 500
at the beginning of the season nobody was thinking we would be losing michael sauer for the year, and definitely not for good. we were projecting something along the lines of:

staal-giradi
mcdonagh-sauer
mdz-eminger/stralman/woywitka

that IS depth! mcdonagh and sauer were rising stars in the organization, in fact last year i thought sauer was actually the better player than mcdonagh. staal and girardi was regarded around the league as one of the best shutdown pairings in the league. mdz was a young guy who showed he has a huge upside if he can get his game together paired with solid 3rd pairing guys like eminger or stralman.

picture that group of 8 guys, plus the solid AHL guys like bickel and bell (we thought bickel would be better at the beginning of the year i'm sure), PLUS the youth in erixon and mcilrath coming up by the next year.

if sauer stays healthy i truly think we're looking at this team still playing hockey. i think we're looking at a team that can afford to trade a top prospect like del zotto, mcilrath, or erixon for a big offensive guy. unfortunately, sauer suffering that career threatening concussion could be what absolutely ruined our defensive depth.

next year however there WILL be depth! staal, girardi, mcdonagh, mdz and stralman (if he's back) are all solid guys, plus the addition of either erixon or mcilrath. we have to remember that bickel was a rookie. we have to also take into consideration there will likely be a free agent pickup (schultz hopefully).

the illusion created by rangers fans that there's any sort of offensive depth here however is a complete joke. we couldn't even put out 4 solid lines, and people are talking about what we have in CT, it's a joke. there's a LOT of tweener guys in the organization..christian thomas, andrew yogan, etc etc who are probably never going to scratch the rangers lineup but have a lot of talent. we DO have jt miller who i think is a future top 6 guy. we have shane mccolgan who in a few years could very possibly turn into a hagelin-type player with possibly even more defensive talent. this organization REALLY needs a good draft and a few off-season moves to bring in some guys though.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote