View Single Post
Old
05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I didn't mean trading them to make room for Sestito. He can play a bit too, but I think it's more likely that Homer will try to get bigger on the wings by adding someone like Pyatt, Penner, Prust i.e. big wingers who can play on the 3/4 lines. I haven't even looked at the list of potential UFAs, but there will be some guys, even big Cs like Gaustad, who are UFAs.

When you look at the lineup at present (and the positions can vary, I think Briere needs to end up on the wing with Schenn's line, Lavy hasn't don't that. We have some decent size there.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek - decent sized wingers and a small C.
JVR-Schenn-Briere- - two decent sized guys with smurf C/RW.
Talbot-Couturier-Simmonds - two decent sized guys and tough but small Max.
Rinaldo-Read-Wellwood - a smallish 4th line, so Tommy S. might draw in.

I don't think that Homer will go out and try to trade very valuable players like Read and Wellwood just to add size, but if he's doing a deal to get a D (if Suter and Carle aren't options) I can see that they would be first to go, over guys like Simmonds, JVR or Voracek who have more size and higher upside. I could see a prospect like Cousins, who is also small, getting added to package too, if they don't see a future for him.

We are locked into having small guys like Giroux and Briere in the top 6, and Max is a free safety not a linebacker. The young guys all have some physical maturing to do, so JVR, JV, Schenn, Couts and Simmonds will all be bigger naturally and as a result of weight work, next year.

If we could take the above lineup, add someone like Gaustad in place of Read at 4C and someone like Prust/King/Nolan etc at 4RW in place of Wellwood (unlikely b/c of the cap but you get the idea), do you think they would worry for one second about trading them, as long as they got value back in either players or picks?
Sestito right now is a guy who you can plug into the 4th line every now and then. I cant see him being good enough offensively to be anything more then that.
I think the Flyers will be looking to add size this offseason. Both up front and on defense. I really dont have a feel what the Flyers are going to do. Do they feel kids like Couturier and Schenn are ready for a bigger role next season?
I dont have a problem with moving Briere to wing. It may be neccessary if Schenn and Couturier are ready for a bigger role.
I dont think Holmgren will worry about trading anyone if he can make the team better. Anyone can be traded.
I do think that fixing the defense will be a priotity before we look at improving the team up front.