Old
05-29-2012, 09:28 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Sutter and Lombardi Article - San Jose Mercury News

Terrific read...

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-dean-lombardi

""Hockey might be what I do, but it's not who I am," Sutter said. "I like being with my family. If I was going to take another job, it had to be the right one with relationships I trusted."

That happened when Lombardi said: "Let's have another go at it."

The G.M. thought Sutter's no-nonsense approach was exactly what the young Kings needed.

Their shared past made the transition easier as Lombardi described the Kings to Sutter in Sharks terms: Jarret Stoll was San Jose's Mike Ricci. Trading for Richards was like when the Sharks added Vinny Damphousse.

"There were so many parallels," Lombardi said. "I could tell Darryl, 'This guy is your (Patrick) Marleau, here's your Brad Stuart, your (Jonathan) Cheechoo, your Gary Suter.' There were a lot of touchstones that we could relate to, and we could talk about doing things better than we did in San Jose."

Sutter installed an up-tempo style that included an aggressive forecheck. He tinkered with the lineup. He called out stars Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar for being "stale." He got through to underachieving players such as Dustin Penner, who had become a leaguewide joke after somehow hurting his back while eating pancakes.

"You have to give Dean credit, because he clearly brought in someone who addressed exactly what we needed," defenseman Willie Mitchell said. "Our preparation wasn't the best. And you know with Darryl Sutter, you've got preparation.""

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote