View Single Post
Old
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
The NHL should make them bigger. Not Olympic size but a couple feet wider at least.

A lot of countries different kind of hybrid rinks already.
I love the full-size Olympic rink, and I'm not aware of any major dissatisfaction with the big ice among European fans. For Europeans, it has more of the flavor of football/soccer, where you have more skillful combinational plays and beautiful goals. A player's size isn't as dominant a factor on the big ice, the extra ice allows smaller guys to use their speed and skill to be effective, rather than being ran off the ice by some big moose because there is no room to maneuver.

For North American fans, the primary interest is collisions - men bumping into other men. On NHL ice, that is all that there is room to do. As Ken Dryden once said, its hard to control the puck for more than two or three seconds on NHL rinks. Combine that with the fact that players have gotten bigger and bigger, and faster and faster, and what I see is one big traffic jam, with the puck pinballing all over the place. I don't really understand the fascination with that, but if that is the preference, that's their business. Let them have their small rinks, but leave the big rinks alone.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote