View Single Post
Old
05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Good points from your post and the one you replied to. There's no wrong way to build and maintain a team, and if there's a GM out there who never makes the wrong draft pick I'd sure like to meet him.

Ray Shero's defense men have not panned out yet, but that doesn't mean they never will. And that's kind of the problem, isn't it? Defense men (almost all of them) need considerable playing time to develope. And it can take 4-6 years before they have the necessary skill and experience to handle big NHL minutes. And that's if they pan out in the first place. Ray Shero had to pay big Free Agent market prices to fill the time gap.

Wingers, can take just as long as defense men. But their positions are considerably easier to master, and as a result they usually can hon their skills a little quicker, and with less ice time.

The Pens are in a cap vice grip, paying big money to forwards and defense men. That's just the price of success. But it's reasonable to suggest that IF they found wingers as the BPA at the time, they would have entry level deals to use. ELD can mean a maintained level of success while prioviding cap flexibility.

The cap can be flexible, or it can loom like an albatrose.
I'm on record as saying this org hasn't shown me they can both draft and develop top six talent.

So I say go with your strengths; drafting and developing blueliners. Build the best and deepest farm in the league of blueliners and use those assets to land impact fwds.

There is a lot of talk on here how great the Flyers are at developing fwds, but their blueline farm is absolutely atrocious. I rank the Pens top 5 blueliners as:

Morrow
Despres
Bortuzzo
Harrington
Strait

I wouldn't trade my bottom guy, Strait, for any blueliner on the Flyers farm. They literally don't have one blueliner I would project as a top 4.

All about perspective.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote