View Single Post
Old
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
That .917 should be credited to San Jose's playing style, not Niemi. The 11-12 was the first time in these last eight years where San Jose finished 5th in Blocked Shots, matter of fact it was the first time they ever cracked the top-15 in the eight seasons. While blocked shots aren't the only important defensive stat, it's a solid indicator that the team focused on a more tighter and defensive strategy.

TSN should consider changing the name of these articles to "summation" instead of "game-plan". It really didn't offer much.
I don't think that's fully fair. True, Nemo was not great last year, but he was very good the year before. To credit Nemo's SA% to just the defensive scheme is overlooking that his SA% was .024 higher than Niitty's in 10-11. Also, his .915 SA% last year was still impressive considering how "bad" many claim he was and how terrible out PK was.

yes, the new emphasis on shot blocking and tighter defensive play helps, but Nemo still played well enough to put up very good numbers. I don't think a combo of Niitty and Greiss could have emulated his stats.