View Single Post
Old
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Creativity is a word I find myself repeating over and over when watching the Rangers - usually while bashing my head against the wall because they possess so little of it.

Richards and Stepan are the only guys that are the least bit creative with the puck. Gaborik is the least creative 40 goal scorer I've ever seen in my life.

Its a real problem. And probably the biggest factor as to why the powerplay sucks and this team cant collectively put the puck in the net.
I love the guys on this team -- most of them at least -- but there is very little ability to do anything other than go straight up the ice, dump the puck, and then go get it. Board work is fantastic, and necessary, but you're not going to find yourself scoring from the boards very often. If guys can't find seams and create shooting lanes, you're going to spend a lot of time chasing the puck when it ends up in your own end. Worse, if you run into a goalie who can handle the puck like Brodeur, it almost entirely nullifies your dump and chase strategy. Ya can't pin the goalie to the boards behind the net.

This team needs some people who can do something other than work the boards and crash the net. Having a system is great, and getting people to buy into that system is wonderful, but having an entire roster of players who play the same way? That's not only entirely unrealistic, but foolish as well. Look at the teams in the SCF. They both have a balanced mix of skill and grit. Elias and Kovalchuk sure as hell aren't defensive stalwarts, or masters at working the boards, but that's fine because they have guys that can compliment them by doing those things.

Find someone who can do something other than flip the puck into the corner. That's a good start.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote