View Single Post
Old
05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
RoyalGremlin
The future is now.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
I have a couple pointers for you, you can take or leave them.

You say you need to work on your ability to receive the cross ice passes. I'm on the ice 3 times a week, which is plenty. But on my off days, I will take my roller blades, gloves, a practice stick (wood, no tape) and a road hockey ball over to the school yard beside my house and shoot against the wall for an hour or two. Even if you for-go the roller blades and continuously shoot the ball against the wall it's great practice for the hand-eye co-ordination needed to receive and convert those cross ice passes. I also practice my puck handling by roller blading and stick handling on the school's tarmac. I found this improved my decision-making and reaction time with the puck and I no longer feel that panic when I first get the puck on my stick. I am much more confident and comfortable in the decisions I make while carrying the puck.

As for the complaining and competitiveness you display during games...We all get frustrated. It's all in how you handle yourself in those situations that makes the difference. Some people freak out (and that's the easy route to take) when things aren't going their way.

Recently I've had a rough couple of weeks. I've become very frustrated when I screw up a play or don't play to the ability I believe I should be. I started coming to the rink with a bad attitude and partially blaming some of the guys I play with for lacking in skill (I never said a thing to them and wouldn't ever lash out like that). But I found that just kept adding to my s#!tty game and I was becoming more frustrated.

Finally I decided that I needed to re-evaluate my attitude. I realized I've been slacking off in the off-ice training since summer sessions started and so I put my head down and got to work on my endurance and speed/strength. I also made sure to arrive at the rink thinking positively and to banish all negativity out of my head.

The next game out (pick-up), I noticed that the other team was a majority of guys who were at a pretty high skill level and our team was made up of a bunch of dusters, me and a couple of my buddies who are very good. I started to say something about how unbalanced the teams were, but figured people didn't want to hear me ***** and moan and just let things be to see if they'd even out. They didn't, but I had a great game. I played hard and tried to win every battle for the puck. I didn't let any negativity affect my game and I think because of that the hockey gods rewarded me with a hat-trick and compliments from my very skilled buddies after the game.

It's so much more fun when you don't have that negativity in your mind. It is infectious and you'll find that it stays with you from game to game.

Kind of long-winded, I admit, but hopefully helpful.
Yeah, I find it easier to practice solo by having a nice solid bounceable wall. It's good stuff if you get into the zone!

RoyalGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote