View Single Post
Old
03-29-2006, 06:01 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
I love how Messier is the fall guy for the slump. He didn't draft/trade/sign anybody. He didn't coach/dress/scratch/make line combos. Well, no one really coached either, but I digress. He was 1 of how many players in those 4 years. Yes he was the Captain but he was not the team/organization. We had bad teams that had no work ethic or drive. They were not built with an express goal. They were not coached to be competitive in that era of hockey. We just plain sucked. Mess had no more to do with it than anyone else, and he does not go before the firing squad before Sather or any of the coaches.

Bobby Clark is one exception to the rule of great player=bad coach/gm. Lemaire is another that comes to mind.

I would really hate to see this coaching staff broken up just for the sake of getting Messier into the organization again and I can't fathom that being a likely scenerio. I wouldn't even want to do that if I was in Messier's shoes, a no win situation. And we have had 0 stability behind the bench in the last 12 or so years. Cambell was probably our longest tenured coach in that stretch and that was only for a few seasons.