View Single Post
Old
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
What you say is true, and I actually believe that KoKo will be back in NA, sooner rather than later. However, this risk doesn't exist with NA kids and is Exhibit A as to why some teams (incl the B's) are loathe to spend high picks on Russians.

Each kid/situation needs to be examined on an individual basis, but even ones that look like a good bet (like KoKo's did when he was drafted) are still subject to that sinking feeling that the player will jump ship for the homeland at some point.

Not entirely rational, but not far-fetched either given how many times this has happened.
100% percent honest truth with this post.

Think of it this way. The draft is all about two things: Potential and risk. How much potential does someone have, and what are the associated risks with drafting him. Those risks could include size, questionable hockey sense, off ice issues, etc. As horrible as it sounds, being Russian is a risk that carries the same weight as all those others now. It's just as bad as being too small, having issues with your skating, or having discipline issues. I'm not anti-Russian by any stance, nor do I think they're bad character guys, but it's just too risky.

If I'm a GM, I'm not drafting a Russian player unless he is far and away the BPA at that particular draft spot...and I mean not another kid close to his potential.