View Single Post
Old
05-30-2012, 05:36 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Must trade for sniper. I can't tolerate all these games with inept offense, though I understand part of it is the Torts system.
Feel free to PM me and speak freely about all the options we have.

If you agree we have to give to get, then we have limited options, IMO.
I don't think we need a sniper to be honest.
We have plenty of guys with good shots including Gaborik, Callahan, Richards, Kreider etc.
What we lack is a guy who can control the puck, dictate play, and can play one on one.

Gaborik for all intensive purposes is a 'sniper' but if he has a man in front of him, he cannot beat him. Obviously this player must have a good NHL shot, but I don't think 'sniping' is necessarily the need.

I do think Rick Nash would address this issue since he is exceptional 1 on 1, but I think there are other cheaper options.

I still would not trade Girardi. The problem is even if we add that game-breaker, our system is still predicated on shot blocking and good defensive play. If we lose Girardi, we have no right handed guy who can play top unit and suddenly the pairing that is playing against the top line looks much worse and we'll get scored on even if we get more one on one goals. Frankly, I think of Girardi as untouchable unless he is dealt for a superior righty.

Staal can go because we have other lefties, but preferably, I'd like to see Del Zotto dealt. I think we can still get that top end piece without dealing a playing as critical to our success as Girardi.

Frankly, something I would like to see done (and some won't agree) is a Nash for Gaborik swap. I think Nash can thrive more in our system. He is not as fast as Gabby but he is better one on one and his size will make him way better down low. I would then look to the free agent market to get that additional player. I'd initially try for Parise. If that is impossible, I'd consider throwing enough money at Alex Semin that he accepts a 1 year offer (even if it pushes us to the cap - if he's crap he can always be dealt to a team who wants add a player at a fraction of their salary)

We could then reevaluate next year when Corey Perry is a UFA.

I think the most important thing is to be accretive in our acquisitions. We have certain parts that don't need to be fixed. We have exemplary defense in our top 4, and we have average offense, an amazing PK, and a horrid PP.

That means to me we have to look at adding 3 players who fit the mold of (assuming Gaborik is not dealt):
A) 1st player must be dynamic offensively - ie: a good 1 on 1 player, who suits our system. (Rick Nash to me is the first player that comes to mind, Parise is a close 2nd)
B) A very solid right handed dman who can take pressure off Girardi (This may involve trading MDZ - but whoever it is, it would be nice if they had power play capabilities and a good shot. There are a lot of possibilities that come to mind: PK Subban, Shea Weber, or lesser pieces like Luke Schenn.
C) A depth dman who can play third pairing if a guy like MDZ is traded. This needs to be someone who is just solid. Ex: Hal Gill.

Last edited by ChrisKreider20: 05-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.
ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote