05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Have you seen him play?

I'm not asking if you would pick a goalie i'm asking if you would pick Malcolm Subban
I've seen his clips and read about him, and I'm sure he is good and will get picked fairly high. But again, the Flyers have a goalie locked up forever, Bob (for the next year, at least for the time being), and Hovinen for a few more years. Best case scenario you pick Subban, don't sign up until his rights are about to expire (three years from now?), then sign him to be the backup for a few years, then trade him as RFA or hope he has turned into a starter and Bryz is gone. Those are a lot of ifs to use a first rounder on. You also have to factor in the history of goalie development (not just for the Flyers, but in general). History seems to show that drafting a goalie high is much riskier than drafting a defender or forward.

The Flyers have a pressing need at defense and there are a slew of solid defneders in this draft. If they pass on a defender in the first round and take Subban, they don't pick again until the third round (assuming no trades are made). That means they likely miss out on a defender that can help in any significant way within the next couple years. So now they have a goalie that won't be able to help for a while, if at all, and a defender that won't be able to help for a while, if at all. Instead they could have a defender that has an outside shot of helping this year, but certainly likely to pitch in within the next couple seasons. Basically, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with my first rounder to draft a guy who even if turns out to be good, may not ever play for this team.

I know you said he could be traded, but why pick a guy if you are going to trade him? If you ask me, that plan has a higher chance of backfiring than passing on him.

EDIT: Nevermind, you didn't say you would trade him, someone else did.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote