View Single Post
Old
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
ltsthinaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Has anyone here actually watched playoff hockey before? The top scoters on every team typically get shut down in the later rounds. Anyone remember how well Crosby and Toews did in the SCF the years they won? They didn't do much. Gaborik and Richards could have been better against NJ, but not that much better.

Trading Gaborik just allows other teams a much easier matchup, and guys like Kreider and Callahan have an even harder time finding space. Depth wins in the playoffs. The Devils bottom six dominated ours in terms of points and that's a large reason they're playing tonigt. Trading a 40 goal scorer would be a moronic idea. Rick Nash has 4 playoff goals in his life for Gods sake.

If you can add a Bobby Ryan or another legitimate top-6 forward for cheap while keeping Gaborik is what we should be looking into. Blowing up the team that finished 3rd in the league is amazing stupidity, even for this board.
I agree with you. I think all this focus on blowing up a team that finished 1st in conference and went far in the playoffs (OK, I think we had some fortune come our way to make the ECF) is silly. What killed us in the ECF? The Devils 4th line ( and the Caps, too). Our top lines will be better next year with Kreider and Richards (typically a FA like him does better in the second year), plus I think Dubinsky should stay (note how we controlled games 5 and 6 against the Devils when he returned despite losing).

Better to add a cheaper FA, maybe take a run at Parise if he'll take less than a Brink's truck to come to a potential Cup contender, especially if the Devils fall short. Get rid of stiffs like Rupp, Mitchell, even Feds or Prust (if he wants max $$) and shore up the 3rd and 4th lines, so Boyle can be a great 4th liner and PK guy, not a 3rd liner.

And keep drafting and building the organizational depth - maybe in 4-5 years they can "trade kids" and prospects for Lundqvist's successor.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote