View Single Post
Old
05-31-2012, 01:33 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
I agree, but I can't help but feel a slow-moving culture change having a chance on the Island - we can thank Tavares for how it seems his will to lead a team to the top is the only non-altruistic bone in his body. Now we just have to hope it takes hold throughout the roster and bridges into the front office.

Our woes aside, props to Lidstrom for a stellar career. I won't miss seeing him lined up against us (like it's mattered much for the last few years...lol) but I can't name many defensemen I've seen in my time with such acumen. Having missed Potvin (I was born between Cups 1 & 2), I can only think of Niedermayer and Stevens.
The only more positionally sound defenseman in this era than KJ was Lids - and he brought offense. Lots of it.

Looking at your first point, Yzerman was the guy (Tavares) and the club was mired in the "Dead Wings" era. Ilitch bought the club and ran it and saw attendance numbers like 3,000 sold (in an 18,000 arena) and swore he'd never be a Mottau/Rolston signer. He nabbed our gem (Jimmy Devellano) and sought TOP GUYS (guys with six years in business studies, not just four) and demanded the Wings scouted, drafted, retained and rewarded the best guys they could. They went heavy Russian (us older guys remember the KLM line coming to N.A.) and Swedish and got well mixed pools of talent and their scouting was top notch.

So Stevy Y had it in him but he'd be Dino or Dionne in a permanent wasteland without the owner ensuring his team would be winning.

So Tavares better work on his Jedi nuances and get Wang to give a ****.

But if we DID have the ownership.......I like the comparison. I hope we can luck out and find a gem like Lids. I'd hope the culture on LI has us (and we have VERY loyal guys) in some realm of where Detroit has been for almost two and a half decades.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote