View Single Post
Old
05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
Hi everyone . This is my first post here. I would like to think my ideas and opinions are fairly accurate but I know and respect that everyone else has one that is just as valid as mine.

I believe Ballard and Raymond are too different situations for the Canucks. Raymond is a speedy forward who has a lot of skill but does not seem to want to go to the dirty areas nor do the dirty work in order to maximize his skill. I fear the Canucks may let the guy walk to another team like Pittsburg on an offer sheet .

The Penguins would love to get raymond for a second round pick compensation then turn him into a 35 goal guy with Crosby and Malkin. This would be a huge win for the Pens and a big loss by the Canucks. I am pretty certain he would accept an offer sheet from the pens for 2mil and the canucks either match or take low second rounder.

Ballard is a gamer but is a dollar short and a day late to dominate in this new NHL. Hes fast but not Brian Campbell fast. Hes smart, but his hockey IQ is not above any kind of average to give him an advantage.

Hes small for a defenseman and cant box out top 6 forwards. His reads in the D zone are Bieksa suspect. But all and all he is a Ian White kind of guy without the gritty edge.

Problem is his salary and his history. His 4million makes him useless on many contending teams who could spend the money elsewhere. On other teams he doesnt improve them enough to take the 4mil on that the owner might be trying to save. Its a rock and hard place for Ballard. The only teams that can take him are teams desperate to make the floor for a season but he has too many years left.

And finally its the assets in Grabner and Howson that Gillis gave up. This may lead a GM to dig his heels in and 'prove' Ballard was worth it. So far after 2 years, its become an embarrassment.

I think Keith Ballard is a good man but is in difficult situation.

So in summary we need to re sign Raymond before a team like the penquins steal him for virtually nothing, and we need to find Ballard a home for some kind of small return.
35 goals is awfully rosy for Raymond, even playing alongside Malkin or Crosby.

Pens already have Dupuis as a similar player coming off a career year, don't really see what Raymond would add.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote