View Single Post
Old
06-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Inner Turbulence

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
These articles talk about NHL teams losing money, but a high percentage of professional sports teams all over the world lose money. Even European Premier League soccer teams lose money.
That is not really a good comparison. It is true that a lot of European Soccer clubs are losing money. But that is mainly because some of the big clubs were taken over by über-wealthy russian or arabian Oil-moguls who dont care about spending and losing a billion dollars or more. They just want to play "Football Manager" (computer game simulating running a football club) in real life. They don't care about the money, they just want to see their team lift a shiny trophy.

The player wages are getting quite silly these days for the top players particularly. Even fairly average players in the big clubs earn silly money, 5-6-8-10 million dollars. This forces the "mid-level" clubs to overspent on transfers and contracts too just to remain in the top division, and they end up in financial difficulties. Regularly teams get put into administration or relegated because of bankruptcy.

The European Soccer Leagues are struggling to stay afloat financially. The European Football Federation is trying to implement some "Financial Fairplay" rules just to prevent clubs to overspent.

In comparison, I think the NHL owners actually DO want to make a profit from their product. So, it makes a bad analogy.

I dont care much what percentage of revenue the players get. As long as the sides work out a lasting agreement that keeps the league viable and avoids another lock-out.

- I would like to see an end to the circumvention to the Cap Hit rules. Make the teams accountable for the contracts. Sign a player to a contract - then you are on the hook for the contract for the duration. No tagging on cheap years that can just be bought out at the end at little cost, looking at you Kovalchuk, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Luongo etc.

- No hiding Redden-like contracts in the minors.

- Dont lower the UFA age further.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote