View Single Post
Old
06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, there seems to be consensus among the players that Martin's system and communication barriers were holding the team back from what they thought they were fully capable of.
The problem I have with that is that they presented Martin as a proponent of the chip-it-out and dump-and-chase and that doesn't really jive with what the players were actually doing on the ice starting in 2010-2011, which had a great deal more short-pass transition and puck possession (especially compared to what came before and what came after). I'm willing to give the players authority on communication and the proverbial "what was happening in the room", but at some point, if there's a disconnect between how they claim to be playing and how they were actually playing, I have to give the latter some amount of credence.

Either that or they'd tuned out the coach and weren't actually following the dump-the-puck system until Cunneyworth showed up, which strikes me as a little weird.

Quote:
Or maybe you think it's just a coincidence that the team fell to the basement once the vets that were probably largely responsible for the rally cries/effort (Hammer, Spacek, Gill, Mara, Wiz, Sopel, Halpern, etc) were all shipped out of town (or simply let go) in favour of youth and "talent".
Actually, based on the underlying numbers that show the team was playing at least as well as ever (and the not-underlying numbers that showed the best 5-on-5 game the Habs have had in at least 15 years)... I do.

Unless you mean the nosedive post-December, in which case I'd wonder if it was coincidence that this happened at the same time as the coaching change.

Quote:
The problem wasn't necessarily letting them go (some were either at or near "expiration"). The problem was that the guys brought in to replace them (Campoli, Bourque, Kaberle, Nokelainen) aren't exactly the kind of guys whose voice/play is likely to galvanize anyone in the locker room (aside from maybe Cole and/or Staubitz, a deadline acquisition).
I suspect it has more to do with the departing players being plain better than the guys going in. Nokelainen, Bourque, and Campoli, especially, just aren't very good hockey players at all. It's a matter of hockey ability more than leadership, IMO.

Quote:
See, to me that just sounds like a veteran who had tuned out the coach. "Didn't mind" = could have done without, for me.
That depends greatly on one's pre-existing opinion of Martin, which is exactly the issue with how these interviews are being interpreted by all and sundry.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote