View Single Post
Old
06-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The problem I have with that is that they presented Martin as a proponent of the chip-it-out and dump-and-chase and that doesn't really jive with what the players were actually doing on the ice starting in 2010-2011, which had a great deal more short-pass transition and puck possession (especially compared to what came before and what came after). I'm willing to give the players authority on communication and the proverbial "what was happening in the room", but at some point, if there's a disconnect between how they claim to be playing and how they were actually playing, I have to give the latter some amount of credence.
You say that, though, like players never played "outside the system". They did. And ended up riding pine/pressboxes almost immediately in every case.

Quote:
Unless you mean the nosedive post-December, in which case I'd wonder if it was coincidence that this happened at the same time as the coaching change.
Naw, I mean coming out of the off-/preseason and posting a 1-7 record against teams that were in the bottom half of the league in the previous season, for starters. And then there was losing 6 of 7 games leading up to the coaching change. I think those are sufficient. Think about that: by game 28 they already had two streaks where they only managed 1 win in 7 games. That accounts for half of the games that had been played to that point in the season, and is thus significant, imo.

Quote:
I suspect it has more to do with the departing players being plain better than the guys going in. Nokelainen, Bourque, and Campoli, especially, just aren't very good hockey players at all. It's a matter of hockey ability more than leadership, IMO.
Guess that's why I said their voice/play wasn't adequately replaced.

Quote:
That depends greatly on one's pre-existing opinion of Martin, which is exactly the issue with how these interviews are being interpreted by all and sundry.
I think it only depends "greatly" for those that are the most "biased" on either end of the spectrum. The rest in the middle are more than content to let the results and press snipets from players no longer bound to internal muzzling speak for themselves.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote