View Single Post
Old
11-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
I agree with you about the strong veteran presence needed, but what can be done about it?

I think Ryder is a good fit with Zednik and Koivu, but the rest of the veterans are average to poor (either in attitude or talent). I would like to have a Grier type of player anchor the 3rd line with youngsters like Higgins or Bulis, I'd like a Laperriere to help Begin on the 4th line, I'd like a Barnes or a Doan to help youngsters like Ribeiro and Hossa on a second line, a Carney to help Komisarek acheive his full potential, etc. But truth is, we don't have such veterans. We have loads of veterans, but they're for the most part soft/spineless/whinny/losers... In short, bad example for the kids.

So what do you do about it? Do you try and trade to acquire such veteran players, even if it means losing a portion of your youth for it? Or do you wait to acquire them through free agency? I think Savard underrated the importance of having QUALITY veterans to help ease in the kids when he signed all those mediocre fillers we're now stuck with, and as a result the youth movement is already choking pretty badly.

edit - typo