View Single Post
Old
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
tytech

vCash: 500
Ryan Potulny practices with the big club

Potulny Takes Part in First Flyers Practice

Flyers prospect Ryan Potulny, who inked a two-year deal with the club on Wednesday, was already in town and taking part in his first practice.

Hitchcock was immediately impressed, and did not rule out using the 21-year old in case of emergency.

As he moves along into next week well take a hard look at him. One day out there, Ive got to tell you, he looks like a very smart, skilled player, said Hitchcock.

The puck follows him around the rink. You dont score 40 goals in college by accident and have the numbers hes had. He has a gift around the net, and we saw some of that in practice today. If he looks like he can help us, theres no hesitation on our part putting him in.

Potulny knows some of the younger players in the locker room due to summer rookie camps that the Flyers hold every offseason.

I had a chance to play with those guys in a couple summers camps a couple years ago so I know them a little bit, he said. Its fun for me to have some of the younger guys here, and I can relate to them a little better. Carter already came up and asked me to hang out, so maybe he can show me the ropes a little bit. Its nice to have those guys here.

Umberger, himself a product of the NCAA, remembers what it was like.

Its an awkward feeling but at the same time its an exciting feeling, said Umberger. Hes going to start a long career.