View Single Post
Old
11-25-2003, 09:17 PM
The Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I regard the Oilers as deep as some of the best at the forward position, just lacking top end talent. However, the Oilers are PAINFULLY thin at goal & defense.

Just for fun, how would you guys rate the Oilers players on an NHL depth chart? Here's how I'd have it:

1st liners: None
2nd liners: Ales Hemsky, Radek Dvorak, Adam Oates, Mike York, Ryan Smyth (I think York and Smyth can be bonefide 1st liners some nights, and are surely very top end 2nd liners at least. I just don't think they put up the numbers of a 1st liner)
3rd liners: Moreau, Torres, Isbister
4th liners: Pisani (still not 100% sold on him yet), Laraque, Horcoff, Reasoner

#1 Defensemen: None
#2 Defensemen: None
#3 Defensemen: Brewer, Staios, Smith
#4 Defensemen: Semenov
#5/6 Defensemen: Cross, Bergeron,

AHL'ers/Press Box: Stoll, Ferguson, Chimera (still..), Sarno, Salmo

Something like that. I'm comparing them to where I'd rank them versus other guys in the league. Some of 'em are pretty close (Staios, Brewer, Smyth, and York can all be better depending on the game).

How would you guys have it?
Reasoner and Pisani have been two thirds of one of the top 10 third lines in the league. That line has perhaps been our consistenly best line since they were put together. How can you have them both as fourth liners?

I'm surprised that you put Smyth as a second liner. I think he's one of the top 30 left wingers in the league quite easily (which should make him a first liner). If I'm not mistaken, there aren't nearly as many good left wingers as centremen or right wingers. I think Smtyh might even be a top ten left winger. I guess you could argue that Smyth should be considered a centre, but we all know thats temporary.