View Single Post
Old
06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Petes1

vCash: 500
I agree with much of what you're saying in regards to the direction the team should take, but how realistic is it?

Reid must make the playoffs, he can't afford to roll the dice on a young team, he's said in the paper it was his fault for not giving Pelino a more veteran lineup, so I'd be shocked if we went with a lineup with that many youngsters having big roles. For that reason, I can't see Puempel being dealt (unless he asks, or Petes are out of playoffs at deadline). The board also has a lot of pressure this season to make the playoffs and start winning some of the fan base back and make money. They can't really take any chances.

I'd go after Campagna if he could be had for draft picks. If the goal is 2014, the Petes returning centermen will be Cornel and Pierog. Considering we know Reid will go after veterans this season, it makes more sense for a guy who will return in two years then a guy that's one and done. In 2 years he'd easily be the 2nd best center on the team, maybe even the best. Have to wait and see how quickly Cornel develops, but it's unlikely he'll be centering the 1st line of a Memorial Cup contending team at 17. Athanasiou, if Ritchie is moved to RW is probably the 2nd best LWer on the team, with the potential to be 1st line when Puempel moves on. I've never seen Betzold play, and hope he does well, but it's hard to see him come in and be a 20+ goal guy as a rookie after being passed over in the draft twice, and only playing as high as Midget so far. Does Maguire have the offencive game to be a 2nd line LWer in 2 years on a contending team? I realize in 2 years, things will be different, but if the Petes have the chance to get a couple 18 year olds, who'd be 2nd liners next season, without giving up a roster player, it would be hard to pass up. I don't think it's realistic we could get both of them, but I wouldn't say no. If they don't work out, trade them.