View Single Post
Old
06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Anyone from Wisco will tell you that Schultz has the highest potential and is the most polished of all the D to come through there lately. Better than guys like Smith and Gardiner. If the wings could land him then in 2 or 3 years Smith and Schultz could be a legit top pairing.
I have heard those things but you left out the best one Ryan McDonagh. He didn't score as much as those guys, but he was hyped quite a bit by all the scouts and coaches. The Badgers have had some ridiculous talent on the back-end I wouldn't put anyone as really hugely distancing themselves from one another. Smith just plays a heavier game with bigger pluses, I think his potential is slightly better.

There is a reason a couple of them went in the first round and a couple of those guys did not. It speaks to certain measurements and things of that nature. Sure they might not max out and the draft position doesn't always tell the story until you evaluate them at this level and see like so many of the Wings late round sleepers. But comparing what they did at Wisconsin and then looking at what tools the posses I don't think Schultz has a higher Ceiling than Smith, but he is farther along in the process than Smith was. In terms of us the fact he is a right-hander makes him very attractive and would love to see at least one Badger pairing next year out of the triple S boys Smith/Suter/Schultz.