Thread: Is Leino gone?
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 09:46 AM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The problem some posters who have the "now, now, now!" mentality is, they forget or choose to ignore that most players who have been in the league for only 2 or 3 years usually don't put up impressive numbers all years. And players who have been in the league for 7 or 8 years have a bigger pool of proof to pull from to make a sound, logical, and factual conclusion as to if they suck or not.

Leino just finished his first year as a highly paid player. Regier and Ruff believed he would be even better than his prior year in Philly. Hence the big long contract. That action by a GM is NOT unusual. In fact it happens multiple times a year. I don't blame Regier for rolling the dice with Leino. He rolled the dice with Briere. But some tend to conveniently forget that fact. The future has not been written, and hindsight is 20/20.

Leino's first season with the Sabres was poor by any standards, regardless of his paycheck, and he has 5 more years to try to get better and better. He has a lot of talent. Odds are (barring injuries) he will get more points every year. Writing off ANY, yes ANY player after 1/6 of his contract has been completed is just plain dumb!
I don't know about "roll the dice." Briere already had 1 30 goal year under his belt and was on a cheaper contract than Gratton.

I like Leino but his contact is rich and his production was poor by any standard. I hope he can turn it around next year.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote