Thread: Is Leino gone?
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Fair enough. I don't think there's much hysteria over Leino's contract. I don't think anyone believes he played to his contract, and I personally doubt he ever will. And I'd move him on if a major free agent signing put the Sabres over the cap, or the team cleaned house and started over.

That's just me. And, of course, it's not my money.
I'm wondering if you are factoring in all the issues involved with buying him out with an amnesty clause.

1. There is no amnesty clause right now. Its something the GMs are hoping for in the new CBA. The new CBA is unlikely to be settled prior to free agency opening up on July 1st. That means the big UFA signings will likely take place prior to knowing if there will even be an amnesty clause. I can't imagine we will sign a big name UFA hoping for amnesty clause so we can fit them under the cap. I just don't see us being that reckless. If we sign a big name UFA it will be with a smarter plan to fit them into our salary structure.

2. I don't see any UFA worth 24mil or more in payouts this summer. Thats what it would cost to buy out Leino (14mil) and sign a big name UFA (10mil or more signing bonus). Is there a UFA out there worth throwing that kind of money around to make sure we get them this summer? I don't see one.

Not to mention buyouts of big contracts are generally a desperation move by a team with a huge contract and a player thats no where its value and never will be. I don't see the Leino and his contract being in that category. He needs a minimal uptick in production to justify his deal. We are talking about a 4.5mil cap hit which is hardly an earth shattering number. He's not even in the top 90 cap hits for next season and his actual salary is tied for 46th (and his salary will drop to 4mil after next year). Thats where he is ranked as of right now before any signings this summer which will push him lower.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote