View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Fact remains, Richards on his contract is a guaranteed top player and all-situation impact guy for many years. Jordan Staal is one year from free agency and (IMO) not yet the player Richards is.
I've sort of been thinking this and didn't want to be the one to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
A team trading away a player like Richards, with Richards' contract, invites speculation.
It also says that this is a rare opportunity to get a damn good player signed to a good cap hit for a long time. Whatever speculation there was around Richards, it never really seemed to affect his on ice play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
And Staal was better than Richards this year. By a fair margin, too.
but was Staal better this year than Richards was before he got traded? We're talking about a guy who was a year removed from captaining a team to the Finals with a PPG playoff performance and has two PPG regular seasons in his back pocket on top of being a great defensive player. I have a hard time believing that Richards didn't have more value when he was traded than Staal does now even ignoring the contracts.

That doesn't mean I think Staal will be traded for less than Richards was. I think it's KIRK who keeps saying that Shero won't trade Staal unless he is essentially overpayed for him and I think I agree with that.

edit: Get out of my head TR