View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
PaulieVegas

vCash: 500
End of Tim Thomas' Team USA career?

So, Tim Thomas announced today he is taking next season off to be with family. I wish him luck, and I respect his decision. But I wonder, if not hope, that this combined with other past actions and his age spells the end of his being considered for the 2014 Olympic team.

USA has an unprecedented level of quality and depth at goaltending right now. It's not like we're hurting for quality netminders. There are six players I would feel comfortable bringing to the Olympics: Miller, Thomas, Quick, Howard, Anderson, and Schnieder. We can only bring three, and we can only start one.

Thomas has three strikes against him (four, if you count the aforementioned fact that we have lots of other quality options in goal). First, he will be 40-years-old in Sochi. Second, he basically quit on his Bruin teammates. I understand and appreciate that he wants to spend more time with family, that's respectable. But you know what? There are 600+ players in the NHL with the same issue, and you don't see them taking a season off. This can only be looked at as a negative, especially since he's only 3-4 years away from being able to spend all the time with his family that he wants for the rest of his life.

But finally, and perhaps most importantly, is his decision not to attend the White House ceremony when the Bruins won the Cup. I don't care what your politics are, do we really want to send someone to represent the USA who decided to stand up the President, which can (and perhaps should) be interpreted as standing up the country? Especially when we have other quality alternatives?

Whatever Thomas does from here, I wish him luck, but I believe this should spell the end of his chances of making the Sochi team. We have too many quality goalies to send someone to represent us who's shown blatant disregard for both his Bruin teammates and his country. I say send Miller, Quick, and Howard or Schneider and leave Thomas to watch at home on TV.

Last edited by PaulieVegas: 06-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote