View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So was Jeff Finger then, by that reasoning.

I don't think a grand total of 60 NHL games over 2 years (4 game call-up and then 56 GP the next year) says that he's a clearly established NHL role player. The Avs have had a revolving door of those kinds of players and they've come and gone without sticking with another club. Hendricks being the exception. Guite and Dupuis played the same role and did it well enough to get shots with other teams but they didn't last long. This time, it came out on the positive end for the player in question and on the negative end for the Avs but they have a pretty good track record with these kinds of decisions in my opinion.
Those are two completely different situations. No one went crazy and offered Hendricks $3.5 M. Finger is an NHL player too. He's a lot like Wilson, he's a bottom pairing D that should not be played any higher. If someone offered Wilson $3.5 M he'd be buried down in the AHL pretty quick too.

I think anyone that watched Hendricks play, would have seen he was gonna stick in the NHL and be an effective role player. If they were willing to give Per Ledin a one way they should have given Hendricks, but they seem very principled and cheap when it comes to 3rd and 4th line free agents. If they ask for anything more than the small offer the Avs give them, they're shown the door.