View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 07:55 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Thing is, ask any fan about their coach, and you'll get the same complaints: stifles offense, juggles lines to much, makes weird lines, underuses kids, relies too much on vets. It's almost a pattern. I think we'll see the same complaints about the next coach about this time next year.
2010 - 30th in the league in 5on5 GF, 26th in overall g/game
2011 - 26th in the league in 5on5 GF, 23th in overall g/game

In 2012 the numbers come to 18th and 20th respectively but Cunneyworth coached more games than Martin.

So yes, for a playoff team being dead last in GF indicates that Martin did stifle offense.

And you'll never catch me complain about his micro-management or line changes because obviously he knows something I don't.

The fact is a lot of younger players WERE frozen out under him. Lapierre, Latendresse, Pouliot, Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn and O'Byrne were all players who could have improved or contributed in their own right but instead regressed or were let go unceremoniously.

Other facts: Spacek and Gill indicated that he didn't listen to his players and/or there was little game performance feedback.

Darche starting on the PP over Cole at the beginning of the year. That's indefensible, if you ask me.

Quote:
Here's the thing: if the system is good but the results aren't forthcoming, the last thing you want to do is to change a good system for a less good one in the hopes that change for the sake of change improves matters. When the process is good, you may -- nay, you WILL -- have periods where you don't get results regardless. That doesn't make your process bad, and you should simply stick with it. Adjust, certainly, but stick with it.
I'd argue it wasn't a good system but an adequate one. It squeezed out results but didn't apply anything more. We looked like we could beat any team in the league, but never looked dominant.

I really can't see the Habs under JM playing much better than they did at their best - which is to say 6th in the East.

Quote:
I don't think the players tuned out anyone. If they did, they had an odd way of showing it on the ice.
Two former players said as much, I'm going by what they said.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote