View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
I agree with Cagney in that if he's still playing like a Top 3 USA goalie then he should certainly be there or in contention. But I have my doubts he'll be that given he's essentially railroaded his career in the past year, seemingly lost his focus, and purposely turned against a lot of the media/fans that made him the beloved story that he himself once embraced. Even doing all that he's still a great goalie but as he approaches 40, I don't think he can afford to lose his focus as he has and still be at the top of his game.

Barring absolute collapses by Quick/Miller he's not going to beat them out by taking off a year (and then if he does come back it will almost certainly be to a new NHL team and who knows what situation he'd step into) and there's zero reason to think Cory Schneider won't be a top goalie in this league either and deserving of a spot and he's 12 years younger than Thomas.

I don't really agree with any of Tim's antics, vendettas, motivations, or whatever, and I think he's come across as a huge hypocrite in this whole matter, but in summation, if he's back in the NHL and playing at the top of his game, he'll certainly be in contention for the team and rightfully so. And his declaration to Boston GM Chiarelli that he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics would make me think he really is going to come back to the NHL because he shouldn't sniff that team if he's not playing but I don't really trust his judgment at this moment anyway so who knows what he's thinking?

It'll be interesting to see what happens at next year's World Championships with Thomas sitting out the year. I'm sure USAH would approach him and the Bruins about playing but would he be willing to be even more hated (assuming he doesn't officially retire) by sitting out the entire year on the Bruins but then suiting up in that tournament? The Curious Case of Tim Thomas shall continue.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 06-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote