View Single Post
Old
06-03-2012, 09:36 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Can I get some clarification?

We've always been told the Sharks play a style similar to Detroit's (since TMac arrived). But watching both teams play, the styles don't seem similar to me at all. Detroit plays a possession style no doubt ... they hold onto the puck and maintain possession as much as possible. The Sharks on the other hand, seem to play a dump-and-chase. Often when we have the puck, we'll skate it to center ice and dump it in. Detroit seems to skate the puck in far more than we do.

Also, Detroit seems to hold onto the puck mostly when making line changes (maintaining possession), while the Sharks skate it to center and dump it in, allowing the other team to gain possession (giving up possession).

Is this not right?
Yes, but it is a matter of degree.

Both teams use chips. Chips as opposed to dumps in part define possession against old style, pure north/south. But Detroit gives license to Datsyuk and even Flipper to carry the line. In their heyday, they had all sorts of guys and schemes to carry the line. Like the Sharks should with Havlat. In a sense Babcock is an old style coach but he has the Detroit team which was built for a very special type of possession and he makes allowances versus his own preferences. TM also had the Sharks being more conservative last year about line change dumps (take no chances). Detroit plays a little riskier and their blueline was a bit better with keep away passes. The teams are similar, I understand your confusion and I understand the specific differences. Detroit also is a little more east/west for in-zone offense with Z and Dats.

BTW, Boston is probably number 3 in going chips as opposed to dumps. Preds are pretty good too with some exotic schemes on chips.