View Single Post
Old
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
  #507
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Coaches are extremely overrated. A good coach with a bad team will most likely have a losing record. A bad coach with a good team will have a winning record. Poor coaches have won cups, good coaches have not, ect ect.

I am more concerned about what Bergevin is going to give the coach to work with.

Even Scotty Bowman, largely considered the best coach of all time was fortunate to coach some pretty remarkable teams. I think Mario Tremblay could of won those cups.

Same thing with Joe Torre in baseball. I could of managed those 200million dollar payrolls to World Series titles too.

I'll use the example of diet and exercise, dieting being the roster, and coaching being the exercise. Diet/roster make up 90% or more, while coaching/exercise make up the other 10%.

As long as the coach isn't completely terrible we'll be fine.
Finally, someone gets it. When patterns repeat again and again and again, finally you have to wonder at your assumptions, unless you are mad: The assumption being that the coach can help a mediocre team win.

They don't. And they often make good teams worse.

Pollock got Bowman the players, and he shut his mouth and let them play. End of.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote