View Single Post
Old
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2012...ehead-and-roll

Good article I read on him yesterday. Naysayers are not going to want to commit another deal to him thinking it was a fluke.

Question I have is the Hawks have nobody currently to replace him. I know everyone wants to throw Saad in every line up but I feel it's just too early for him.

Quote:
Contract: One year left at 875K, and this is where the debate begins.

Stick Around Or Hit The Bricks: Boy, this is a loaded one. It's clear to everyone that you can sell high on Stalberg, as high as you're probably ever going to be able to. A 20-goal scorer who can play up and down the lineup at that contract is going to look tantalizing to a lot of GMs. Add to that that when Vik hits unrestricted free agency next summer, the bidding for him (unless he completely falls off the table, which tends not to happen in walk years) probably starts at 3 mildo per year and could very well go north of 4. That's going to be too pricey for a Hawks team with kids coming up to take his role anyway. Morin or Saad look to be the prime contenders to do so. So there's a lot that says Stalberg will be part of a package, and depending on what comes back, you couldn't argue.

On the flip side, if the Hawks do move Stalberg, they're not going to be able to afford someone to then do what he does, or likely won't without moving a couple pieces (and it would have to be more than Hammer, which probably means Bolland, and we just discussed that). If they decide to do so, they have to be sure that Saad or Morin or some other kid is actually ready to step in and contribute. No one knows that yet. And having a player with that offense and speed on that deal who can play on any of the four lines isn't the worst thing in the world.

It would seem neither is a wrong answer, exactly.
I would like to see him here at a cap friendly deal. You sign him at whatever fits in to the 70 mil CBA structure. If it gets rolled back in the future, so be it. Maybe Stans thinking lately has a lot to do with the upcoming CBA.