View Single Post
Old
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
I would agree, do some public sessions and get the basics down - forward, stopping, a little bit of backwards.

I picked up speedskating in 2001 and was basically self-taught. I did skate from time to time with a club, whenever I visited my parents. It's harder to learn on your own because you don't have anyone to give you pointers on things, but it can be done.

I was off the ice for 8 years, and just started skating and playing hockey in March. It's a totally different animal, hockey vs. speedskating. I've found that if I don't have my stick and I'm not skating after a puck, I can still move really, really fast in my hockey skates - provided I get low in a speedskating position and am going in counterclockwise circles around the rink! But adding the stick and puck, plus other people who are in your way and trying to stop you and get the puck away makes a huge difference. I'm not so fast when you add all of that stuff in.

That said, I've made so much improvement since March that I still can't believe it sometimes. I remember having so much trouble going backwards around the circle to the point that I was barely moving on the ice. Last week, I was just goofing around and started going around the circle and wasn't even thinking about it - then I realized hey, just a couple of months ago I couldn't do this AT ALL and now I'm able to do it without conscious thought?

You won't regret starting - but you might regret never trying it!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote