View Single Post
Old
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Not really. Not trading Wideman is really the one that sticks out as a failure. Trading Vokoun would have been a pretty debatable move given Neuvirth's and Holtby's (AHL) performance to that point.
Yes, that was a massive mistake - unless GMGM plans to make the worse one and resign him. But I wanted Wideman, Vokoun, and Knuble traded. I'd even have been ok with Semin being traded if the return was strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Because we all knew Holtby was going to be a beast, right? Hindsight is 20/20, and it sure looks stupid to keep him now since Holtby started and did very well in the playoffs. But Holtby hadn't even been playing great in the AHL at that point and Neuvirth's struggles were well known all season. Vokoun seemed like our best option at the time, and it took him destroying his groin for Holtby to get a chance.
It's not about Holtby; at least, not for me. I wanted Vokoun traded at the deadline because the team was obviously not a contender and he wasn't part of the future. They were in a position to use their UFAs to improve both the team and cap situation going forward. A 7th rounder doesn't do crap for this team and is only good because something is better than nothing (tho the difference between a 7th and nothing is hard to quantify). Just MHO.

Nothing that happened in the playoffs changed my feelings. I doubted they could beat NJ in a 7-game series and it was clear to me after the St. Louis series that LA was on a mission.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote