View Single Post
Old
03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
I think it's a little harsh to say there's a right vs wrong way to shoot based on your handedness, especially since everyone is different and there are a lot of odd cases. Like me.

I'm a natural lefty. throw left, write left, use practically any tool left handed (except scissors, because they never work left handed), bat left, golf left. And yes, I shoot left in hockey. I do that because it feels comfortable for me, and because when I try and shoot right, I have absolutely no power or accuracy. Of course, I am also an exception to the rule because I'm told that I shovel backwards. When I hold a shovel, I have my left hand lower than my right, logic being that I want my stronger arm bearing more of the weight.

There shouldn't be a "rule" as to what handedness of stick you use. I think that every kid starting out hockey should be given a right handed stick and a left handed stick of identical design (just mirror the curves, of course) and let them shoot for a while with each. Whichever stick the kid feels more comfortable with should be the one they get to use. If that violates some cardinal rule about your handedness versus the stick handedness, then so be it.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else in that practice is the way to go for accuracy. Find yourself a brick/concrete wall (if you have a basement, that's ususally the best option), and get some masking tape and a pack of tennis balls. Use the masking tape to mark a half dozen or so Xs or boxes on the wall, and shoot at them. You can always make games out of it to. Try and go in order from one to the next and back again. Or give them "point" values based on the difficulty of hitting them (make some smaller or bigger, or place them higher or lower) and try and see how many points you can rack up in 10 shots. If you have a friend or a sibling who will shoot with you, have one player take the shot, then the other has to match it (like the basketball game HORSE) Or anything else you can think of. Start out close and as you get better take a few steps back and work from there. Moving back won't only help increase your accuracy from longer ranges, but it will require stronger shots to stay on target, which should help your shot power as well.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 03-31-2006 at 10:26 PM.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote