View Single Post
Old
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
You cover everything I tend to believe also. I will also add, we don't get to see Martin in practice and in the room. There is no doubt he is a skilled guy, so them seeing him in practice so often may lessen the sting of the in game results....in some odd way. IE they see the potential, or what should be.

Key to me again is the quality and cost of replacements. It is simply bad GM'ing to not maximize every dollar on the roster. And, given that, PM is tough to swallow. ZM, and at times BO also. On the other hand Engo is an absolute steal. Now i understand you cant win with all engos, that isn't the point. Point is he plays above average 5/6th man D for a great rate. letang plays above his pay. We need to use these cheaper options to free up money to keep and build in areas where we don't have options in the system.

It is not to say i don't respect the guys here now and what they have done. But:

Letang
Brooks
Martin
Z
Nisky
Engo

Looks about as good to me as:

Letang
Brooks
Despres
Strait
Nisky
Engo

The second group isn't as proven sure. But, we have strong sample sizes to understand how their strengths could form a unit. It would also cost significantly less.
I have no problem dumping Martin's ass but I think I would caution anyone wanting to get rid of Michalek too. I think it's a lot of turnover in one year and honestly, we're all THAT confident in these prospects? Don't get me wrong I REALLY like what I've seen from them and many around here know I'm a little too hard to please most of the time, but as solid as they were most of the time they were also part of that unit that crapped the bed at the end of the year against the Sens and Isles when the wheels fell off the defense.

I'm just saying lets temper our expectations a little here. Michalek is a good player and a definite top 4 guy through an 82 games seasons plus playoffs. We have absolutely no clue if any of those guys are ready for that yet. Playing well in spots is totally different than bringing it all season.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote