View Single Post
Old
06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
bigd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
It sounds like an over-simplified argument but I think guys like Martin are going to disappear from this league eventually. If you are undersized for a D (as he is in this league), then you better either: a) have a great PP game; or b) have some nasty to your game. If you have neither and are merely a good skater / positional player, you're going to get steamrolled every playoff. I think the only way to get away with being that positional guy, is to be a bigger guy that can't be pushed around. Martin achieved Whitney-like levels of soffness this year at times. The guy has no fire at all IMO.

Z is at least a great shot blocker and will get a pass for his hip injury for now. Niskanen is too small also, but definitely has some offensive upside / PP upside and at least has some fight in his game as we saw a couple times this playoff.
I don't think you have to be big at all. You just need to have the b*lls to stand in there and make the play even when you know you're going to get hit. Strait's about the same size and he was willing to be the first one back and take a hit to make a play. There were times Martin would completely give up on the play knowing he was going to get hit. Maybe that's the difference between a vet with a cushy contract and a rookie trying to make an impression, I don't know.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote