View Single Post
Old
06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The answer to every traffic problem in Winnipeg is, "add another set of traffic lights". Sterling Lyon Eastbound from Shaftsbury to Kenaston used to have lights at only those intersections. There are two new sets of lights soon to be activated along that stretch (to facilitate entry to Ikea to the south from Sterling Lyon, and entry to the development happening on the north side of Sterling Lyon). In addition, there's now a right-turn light off Sterling Lyon onto southbound Kenaston.

They just build that underpass under the tracks on Kenaston a few years ago - wisely making it two lanes wide each way. Oops! So they had to add another lane each way...it would've been a lot cheaper to do that from the beginning when all the workers and equipment were there the first time...but hey, what do I know. I'm just a shmuck who has to drive by there every day - not a genius City of Winnipeg traffic planner.
That is a good point and something I should have mentioned. If they want that route to be a true major city thorougfare, they need to build on and off ramps and channel surface road traffic onto those. It's a major expense but it would solve a tonne of issuses in South Winnipeg.