View Single Post
Old
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
I tend to place the problem on city council. The city planners can't make by-laws, and they don't get the final say in some of the development approvals that have gone on. I don't think we have the most innovative or well-staffed planning department, but it's not all their fault.

Going back at least until amalgamation, this city has had issues with City Council being unwilling to implement (or, if we're being generous, unaware of) bylaws and guiding planning documents that would prevent that sort of irresponsible and unsustainable sprawl. In fact, they've downright encouraged it on any number of occasions.

Their excuse for this is not wanting to slow "development" with actually, you know, regulating it. For years, Winnipeggers bought that excuse. (Understandably so, with the type of economy we have it's easy to be afraid of scaring off investment.)

I now think most people are starting to notice that this excuse wears a little thin, and that Council needs to start stepping it up, take some stronger stances and actually get a plan for this city's growth.

totally agree, my wording on city planners is wrong, i meant council.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote