View Single Post
Old
06-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Adam Henrique, Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron, Patrick Sharp, Danny Briere, Evgeni Malkin, Valtteri Filppula. All the second line centers on those teams. Where would you rank Berglund among those players? What about Backes?
Behind Malkin, Richards, and Kesler, obviously... but pretty much on a par with the rest.

Briere, Bergeron and Sharp might be slightly ahead of Berglund, but not Backes... and Berglund is every bit as good as Filppula or Henrique, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I totally agree with Celtic Note about needing more top-tier players. That's why I've been pushing for a #1 center. I personally think its more important that a top defenseman for with Pietrangelo. While it would be nice to get a #2 who can cover if Pietrangleo goes down with injury, a top line player (preferably a center) is more important in my book. Pietrangelo is good enough to make his partner look good. The number two slot can be filled with a 2-3 year, $2.5-3.5 M guy until one of Cole/Ponich/Edmundson takes it. But the Blues don't have a top-tier center anywhere in the organization.
I'd tend to agree with this assessment.

The Blues came within inches of setting the modern record for fewest goals allowed with the defense they have now, so I'm not 100% convinced that any major changes are required on defense.

I know Colaiacovo is everyone's favorite whipping boy on this board, but the defense with Colaiacovo as a part of it was -- arguably -- the best in the NHL this year, certainly in the top three or four.

Bring everyone back, including Colaiacovo and Jackman, give Cole a little more playing time, let Fairchild have a little longer cup of coffee with the team in 2012-13, maybe give Ponich a cup o' Joe with the big team if he starts to show he was worth the 48th overall pick, and the defense is fine.

Edmundson and Hakanpaa will be coming in 2013-14 (probably coming to P-Town on ATO's in spring 2013, when their seasons in the 'Dub and Finland, respectively, are over), and both are capable of playing their way onto the big club when training camp opens in September 2013.

Shoot, Teemu Eronen had a decent year for Jokerit this season; if he duplicates that again this year, bring him over and let him audition alongside Pietrangelo. That won't be an overly physical d-pairing, but they will damn sure have a transition game, puck-moving abilities, and plenty of offensive upside.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If, on the other hand, a true #1 center -- someone like David Krejci, for example -- was available in exchange for the Blues' first-round pick this year and a roster winger, I'd have to very seriously consider making that move.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote