View Single Post
Old
06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF View Post
If you consider the vocal fans the voice for those who have started coming dressed as empty seats, I think they may well outnumber the remaining season ticket holders.
That's the whole point. Many people, including season ticket holders, have long since given up on this team. They have moved on from anger to apathy and it will take a lot to get them back in the fold now.

People are already voting with their wallet. Look at the attendance, particularly during weekdays.

In political terms, Howson's favorability is under 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
And this right here is why the entertainment industry sucks to work in.

If you have a bad meal at your favorite restaurant do you walk into the kitchen and demand the chef be fired?

If the lady at Starbucks forgets your extra foam, do you get on a message board and demand she be fired?

If the box you receive from Amazon comes a little beat up, do you call up UPS and demand the driver be fired?

Yet for some reason, when entertainment is involved it is "OK" because people are fans and trying to "Protect" the thing they care about.

In the 5 years I've worked in the "Corporate" world never once has anyone called for me to be fired. And while I miss the excitement of entertaining others, I don't miss the other side of the equation. You work hard, not only in "normal" office hours, but also nights, weekends. While others are being entertained, you're the one busting your butt working the venue, setting up the TV cameras, making sure the crowds are kept away from the fireworks blast zone, or finishing up a 100 hour week squashing bugs to meet the publisher's deadline.

All to make someone else happy and forget about their sad pathetic lives for a few hours.

And if you slip up anywhere...

...you get this
I'm sorry, but I don't share your appraisal of the world.

Talk to some people in the finance world. Talk to a CEO. Talk to a managing partner at a law firm. A restaurant manager. Talk to a school teacher in this era where test scores determine everythin.

We live in a performance based world and for many of us it is "what have you done for me lately?" Entertainment is hardly alone in this respect.

Want to see it in the restaurant business? Look at what Yelp is doing to that industry.

Many industries actually use their online feedback in performance reviews of managers and employees.

I have a hard time feeling any more pity for Scott Howson than I do for Jamie Dimon. If you want to be at the top of your industry, you have to have thick skin.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote